We don't understand HOW it happens.
We just watch when it happens.
Here is a quick picture taken of Frank, Stella and Major at the Conference this weekend. Major had alerted to Frank telling him that Stella was low. Stella was outside up the hill playing... BG 62 "Great alert Major!" — with Frank Wisneski.
The picture was just 1 of several distance alerts that I witnessed that Major offered Frank Wisneski. What Major was alerting to here is probably straightforward scent of his girl but coming from an impressive distance. Major's understanding of his job was clear. He was able to discriminate between many other t1 diabetic high and low events and alert accurately to Stella. These dogs are just amazing!
The picture was just 1 of several distance alerts that I witnessed that Major offered Frank Wisneski. What Major was alerting to here is probably straightforward scent of his girl but coming from an impressive distance. Major's understanding of his job was clear. He was able to discriminate between many other t1 diabetic high and low events and alert accurately to Stella. These dogs are just amazing!
A BIG thank you to Laurie Schwartz for capturing this image. I was at the DAD conference, in the dining hall attending a session. Stella was outside up a hill playing with the other kids. Lunch was being cleaned up as the kitchen was right behind us. Major was on place under the table. And then he broke place, came to me under the table, put a paw on my lap and alerted. So I went outside, and in my best Marlon Brando, let out a "Stellaaaaaa!!!!!" I didn't know where she was. She came down from the hill. She was at least 100-150 yards away from Major, in the mountains at 6800 feet, surrounded by pine trees and the smell of campfire, and other diabetics. But that dog knows his girl. I brought her in the the dining hall, and we tested. She was 62. And only a short while after lunch, when if anything, I would expect a high. And nowhere near me. I can't explain it scientifically. I can't even explain it rationally some times. But this damn little good for nothing worthless hunting dog protects his girl in so many ways. And I love this dog. Thank you Major. Good low.
When Stella is not around, Major will occasionally alert to others diabetic events. And he also has his "special" people that he will alert on even when Stella is around, like Luke (he has always alerted on Luke) and Johanna (she has all the canine hope dogs with her at some point). But generally, when Stella is there, she is the one he pays attention to. We work toward having him ignore other diabetics by not rewarding him if Stella is not there.
When Stella is not around, Major will occasionally alert to others diabetic events. And he also has his "special" people that he will alert on even when Stella is around, like Luke (he has always alerted on Luke) and Johanna (she has all the canine hope dogs with her at some point). But generally, when Stella is there, she is the one he pays attention to. We work toward having him ignore other diabetics by not rewarding him if Stella is not there.

No comments:
Post a Comment